BBC Radio 1 Academy: Morning Session at Leeds Beckett Students' Union
Monday 17th September
- Venue/Location: Leeds Beckett Students' Union, Leeds
- Doors: 10:00 till 15:00 (Last entry: 10:30)
- Min Age: 16
Radio 1 Academy ft. performances from Circa Waves, Lewis Capaldi and Q&As with BBC and a range of industry experts - Monday 17th September 2018
This event occurred in September 2018. If you're looking for a upcoming event, try the links below:
View more events.
Who's Going to This?
Lineup and Details for BBC Radio 1 Academy: Morning Session
Interested in a career in the Music Industry? The BBC Radio 1 Academy is coming to Leeds with a range of industry experts offering insight and advice into roles working within Music. Hear from experts from BBC, Parlophone Records, Boileroom, Kendall Calling, Live at Leeds, DIY mag and loads more! There will be exclusive live performances from Circa Waves, Lewis Capaldi and Black Honey.
All hosted by Radio 1 DJ’s Abbie McCarthy and Greg James.
MONDAY 17th SEPTEMBER 2018
Tickets are FREE! Choose from either the AM session 11:00 – 15:00 or the PM session 14:00 – 18:00 OR get tickets for both!
The event will be held at Leeds Becket Students Union and everyone is welcome. Lunch provided.
Morning Session - 10:30 – 15:00
KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Mim Shaikh
Mim is a radio presenter, actor, poet and writer. He is currently hosting the weekend breakfast show on BBC Radio 1Xtra whilst also presenting his Thursday night discussion show for the BBC Asian Network. Mim was discovered at The BBC Radio 1 Academy in Hackney!
LIVE: Lewis Capaldi
The incredible Lewis Capaldi will kick off the day with an exclusive acoustic performance. He’ll also be chatting about his incredible career so far including his BBC Sound of 2018 nomination.
PANEL DISCUSSION: Business Behind the Band
Our panel of experts will offer an insight into their jobs and the work that goes on behind the scenes to build success for musicians. Confirmed panellists below with more to be announced;
Colin Lester – CEO of JEM Music Group Colin has managed many artists including Arctic Monkeys, Lily Allen and Craig David.
Beth Parnell – Director of Bandwagon PR. Bandwagon Press is a music PR company based in Manchester. Beth has worked on campaigns representing Calvin Harris, Hurts and Grizzly Bear
PANEL DISCUSSION: The Image of Music
Most of our favourite musicians have a certain image but how is that pulled together and delivered to their fans? We’ll get exclusive insight from those behind the faces, clothes, videos and photos that we see.
Confirmed panelists below;
Kyle De Volle – Kyle is a celebrity stylist, he has enjoyed a long creative collaboration with Rita Ora. In addition to Rita, Kyle has worked with Cara Delevingne, Bruno Mars and Little Mix’s Leigh-Anne Pinnock among many others.
Lisa Wright – Lisa is the Features Editor for DIY magazine most recently working with bands such as Slaves, Idles and Black Honey. Lisa is also a freelance journalist working with Time Out, Noisey and NME.
Nadira Amrani – Director, producer, photographer, journalist, spoken word poet, founder of POC (People Of Colours). Nadira has worked with artists such as Denai Moore and Jordan Stephens.
Adam Powell – Adam is a music video Director and Photographer working with artists such as He has created videos for musicians such as Circa Waves, Charlie XCX, The 1975, Example and Birdy.
BEHIND THE SCENES WITH RADIO 1
Want to know what happens at the nation’s biggest radio station? Join Greg James and the Radio 1 Breakfast Show team for inspirational chat, exclusive insights and backstage gossip.
This is your opportunity to get 1 on 1 time with the industry experts you’ve heard speak in the discussions.
Terms and Conditions
Tickets are issued by Skiddle.com on behalf of the BBC. Use of the ticket and attendance at Radio 1’s Academy are subject to these terms and conditions and your use of a ticket or attendance at Radio 1’s Academy signifies your agreement to these terms and conditions.
1. Entry to this event is at the BBC’s sole discretion and the BBC reserves the right to refuse entry to anyone. Please be aware that the BBC may issue more tickets than there are available spaces as not everyone who requests a ticket will always go on to use that ticket, and we want to ensure that all available spaces will be filled.
2. Entrants will be deemed to have accepted the terms and conditions and to agree to be bound by them when registering.
3. By entering this event you agree to follow the reasonable directions of the BBC particularly in respect of health and safety matters.
4. By entering this event you are a) giving your consent to be filmed and photographed by the BBC and agreement to be included within any resulting film, photograph and/or audio recording; and b) assigning all your rights in any contribution to the BBC for use in any and all media for any purpose at any time throughout the world.
5. Attendance at Radio 1's Academy is restricted to those who are 16 on or before August 31st 2018. Anyone younger than this will not be admitted. Tickets will be named, and ID and proof of age may be requested on entry.
6. Registration is open to residents of the UK and Republic of Ireland only. Other overseas entries will not be considered.
7. Re-admission to the event is permitted. Those returning to the event will have to go through the security procedures again.
8. Each ticket is for a specific session ONLY. If on the day you wish to sign up to another session you must go to the booking desk to see if space is available.
9. The BBC does not accept any responsibility for late or lost tickets. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt.
10. The following articles are not permitted within the venue – flags, chairs, knives, fireworks, smoke canisters, air horns, flares, weapons, dangerous or hazardous items, laser devices, glass vessels, poles and articles that might be used as a weapon and/or compromise public safety.
11. Tickets may not be sold, traded or offered for sale; and may not be used as a prize or for any other promotional or trade purpose by any organisation other than the BBC. Sale or attempted sale is grounds for seizure or cancellation and those trying to use resold or cancelled tickets will be refused entry into the venue.
12. The entire event site is non-smoking. Anyone who does not comply with this non-smoking policy will be ejected.
13. No animals, with the exception of guide dogs and assistance dogs are permitted into the event.
14. The BBC shall not be liable for any loss, damage, cost or expense howsoever caused, except in the case of death or personal injury where this is directly caused by a negligent act or omission of the BBC.
15. The BBC reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time. Any amendments to these terms and conditions will be displayed at the entrance to the event.
16. The BBC, its sub-contractors, subsidiaries and/or agencies cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for any technical failure or malfunction or any other problem which may result in any registration being lost, not properly registered or e-tickets not arriving.
17. The BBC reserves the right to: (i) cancel, amend or change the event (including the line-up and activities) at any stage; (ii) refuse entry to the event, at any stage, should any ticket holder or their guest exhibit inappropriate or dangerous behavior (including, but not limited to, being under the influence of alcohol, illegal drugs or chemical substances or causing a nuisance)
19. Should the event be cancelled or line-up changed, the BBC will not be liable for the payment of any compensation.
20. The organisers will use their right to search all persons and personal property via the use of bag searches and security checks and refuse admission to, or eject from, the venue, any person who refuses to be searched by a steward or other person acting on their behalf.
21. Unauthorised professional photography or use of professional recording equipment is prohibited. Zoom lens, audio visual or cinematographic devices will not be permitted into the venue.
22. These terms and conditions shall be interpreted in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.
Leeds Beckett Students' Union
Leeds Beckett Students' Union, Portland Level One, City Campus, Woodhouse Lane, LS1 3HE
The event information, content and images shown have been provided by the event promoter. If you wish to report an issue with this event please click here: Report issue with event